FREE LUNCH AND LEARN WEBINAR
COVID-Care for Families
Supporting parents of children with disability during Covid-19. Strategies for families
About our COVID-Care for Families webinar:
Learning that your child has a disability affects everyone in a family and the families network of friends. The added stress during these unprecedented times of the Covid -19 pandemic can completely take away what parents and carers had planned for in 2020 or 2021 for their child for themselves and for their family.
It’s probably not a surprise that their role as parent/ caregiver has changed even further during this time. Parents and Carers will go through many positive and negative experiences during this time. They
- May feel more burden with everyday responsibility of caring for their child with disability/ delay
- May feel pressure to become an expert and learn everything overnight.
- May worry about their child and family’s future.
- May have difficulty finding balance and time to manage household tasks, other children, daily activities, etc.
- May be less inclined to share feelings.
- May become stressed about the family’s finances and the unknowns of the situation.
- May develop other problems such as stress and anxiety that can affect work life.
This webinar will present an opportunity to discuss some of the challenges and present some strategies that you may encourage families to adopt as a way of looking after themselves in these uncertain times.
This webinar will be facilitated by Reimagine Australia’s Anna McCracken and will feature expertise and insights from our two panelists, Dr Anoo Bhopti and Lynne Wood.
Dr. Anoo Bhopti has worked for over 25 years as a paediatric occupational therapist in a range of settings and currently works as a lecturer and researcher at La Trobe University as well as a clinician in a private practice. Dr. Bhopti’s research and practice is embedded in paediatrics and early childhood intervention, with a focus on supporting and empowering families of children with disability. She is on the expert advisory group of Reimagine Australia and promotes evidence based-practice and inclusion and participation of all children and their families.
Lynne has been working in the disability sector for over 12 years in varying roles. Roles included supporting children with additional needs as a kindergarten assistant and then moving on to becoming more involved with supporting the parents directly as a Support Group Facilitator. Having supported families with young children for many years Lynne then took on the role as an Independent Support Coordinator. In this role Lynne is helping families to understand NDIS pathways and assisting families to connect to services and supports relevant to their situations. Lynne is also a parent of a young adult son with a disability so has had many years of lived experiences and is happy to share her journey with others.
Who the WEBINAR is designed for:
- ECI Practitioners such as Key Workers, Early Childhood Special Education Teachers, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Pathologists, Psychologists, Social Workers, Orthoptists, Audiologists and NDIA/ECEI staff.
- ECEC Practitioners such as Preschool Staff, Long Day Care Staff, Occasional Care Staff, Family Day Care Staff.
- School Staff such as Principals, Assistant Principals, Classroom Teachers, Learning Support Teachers, Teacher’s Aides and School Counsellors.
- Community Organisation Staff such as Out of School Hours (OOSH) Staff, Playgroup Staff, Sports Coaches or Volunteers, Martial Arts Instructors, Music Teachers and Dance Teachers.
- 12pm – 1.30pm Wednesday 2nd September 2020 (AEST)
Seats are limited, so register for our complimentary COVID-Care for Families webinar today!